Our summer sun has disappeared briefly into the gray clouds of “Fog-ust” this month in the Bay area. I cheated and made this salad on our grill pan inside, as grilling outside huddled in the dark in long pants and a sweatshirt doesn’t have quite the allure of grilling while relaxing outside in your shorts on a warm evening. For those of you having a legitimate hot August, feel free to do this recipe all outside, cooking the peaches, chunks of red onion and the halloumi cheese on the grill and tossing them from the grill straight to bowls full of arugula with a drizzle of dressing.
I’m overdosing on halloumi cheese this summer. This corn salad that I posted last week is basically just an excuse to eat halloumi. A cheese you can grill! That squeaks! That’s practically its own grilled cheese sandwich without any extraneous ingredients! What’s not to love? In this salad the cheese pairs well with the peaches; it’s salty bite plays well with the juicy sweetness of the peaches. Even if your peaches aren’t juice-running-down-your-chin perfect yet (it’s still a bit early in some parts of the country), grilling them should enhance even slightly green peaches.
Grilled Peach Salad with Halloumi Cheese and Caramelized Onions (2 servings)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (plus extra to oil the grill pan)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 peaches, sliced and pit removed
- 1 red onion, cut into thin slices
- halloumi cheese, 2 slices
- arugula, approximately 2 cups
- balsamic vinaigrette (I like equal parts vinegar and olive oil shaken together with salt and pepper)
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and add 1 tbsp olive oil over low heat. Add the onion slices and stir frequently. Let the onions cook from translucent through to lightly caramelized and browned. Be careful not to turn the heat up and burn them. This is an exercise in patience, so start here first.
- Place the grill pan over medium high heat. Brush the peach slices with olive oil and place on the grill pan. After about five minutes, flip one slice over to test. If you have dark grill markings, go ahead and flip the slices and cook until grill markings are dark on the opposite side.
- Wipe the oil off the grill pan and add the slices of halloumi cheese. Flip when they are brown on the underside and remove from the pan when both sides are nicely browned. Cut into thin strips (about 1/2” long)
- Add the arugula to each salad bowl and top with the grilled peaches, caramelized onion and halloumi cheese. Drizzle with the balsamic vinaigrette (a balsamic reduction would work well, too) and serve.